Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"The Dream"


The Royal Ballet premiered Ashton's work in April 1964 as part of a program of three ballets created to honor the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's birth. The ballet was set to the music of Felix Mendelssohn. The ballet is an interpretation of William Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream." 
I thought the ballet was very well done. I found that through the ballet with help from the music, I was able to interpret the play through the language of ballet just as well…if not maybe better than the Old English. I thought that Puck did an amazing job and looked like he had springs on his feet. Oberon was also very light on his feet and did a lovely job. Furthermore, Titania was very graceful and exquisite. All of the ballet dancers made it look so easy! Overall I really enjoyed the ballet and I thought it was very nicely done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment